Monday 20 June 2011

Free sweets

We've just had an afternoon snack from the sweet shop in the front garden - lovely Mirabelle plums.  They are gorgeous, quite small but very sweet.  I just stand under a branch and eat them until I get to the point when I think I had better stop!  Mark was mowing earlier and kept being bombarded as the breeze blew the fruit off the trees - and they were falling down his back and getting stuck on the mower seat and then they were getting all squashed under his bum!  We didn't eat those ones.  These trees self seed prolifically and we have transplanted several to fill in gaps.  Of course they are all fruiting at the same time, so for the next few days we will be scoffing them like lunatics and (with equal lunacy) collecting them in buckets to make jam.  I say with lunacy as there are still at least a couple of dozen jars left in the pantry from last year when I got really carried away and made about 70 pots!  Bit daft really but I will still do it as one year we had a late frost and didn't have any fruit at all, and you never know if there might be a sugar shortage at some point and jam making will have to stop!  Oh no, what will we put on our toast?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.